Thursday, November 1, 2012

How Can We Touch


This song by Patty Smyth, "Hands Tied"....I love this song! I don't remember if I've posted it or not, but I can listen to this song on Repeat at least 15 times a day before I get tired of it. I was driving in the Jeep earlier today, just down to the mailbox which is maybe a quarter mile down the gravel driveway, and I picked the song up on the radio. It came in staticky at first, but towards the middle of the chorus, the song was very clear.

I sometimes think of songs I like as omens like when I'm having a bad day and say for example, Lindsay Buckingham's "I Think I'm in Trouble" comes on the radio. Next thing I know, my tire goes flat. In the middle of nowhere US 89. Fortunately, I have a bunch of tools and random camping gear stowed in this 35 gallon Rubbermaid tote for just such emergencies.

I can't really trust random strangers because I start to think to myself what people would see me as: "Oh look, what a lovely young buxom blonde girl, stuck in the middle of nowhere. I think we'll have some fun with her."

NOT!!!

Before I moved out to college, Dad had all us kids run the ranch, including working on all the machinery and if it ever got to the part where we didn't know what we were doing, he called the tractor mechanics out and have them tell us what to do or what it was we did wrong. I remember when I was 20 and Mom told me to bring food to my Dad and brothers up on the north pasture. I used the 4-wheeler to get there but on the way back on the rocky road, I hit a huge rock and flipped the ATV on its side.

Dad and Jack eventually came down to where I was and helped me. The ATV wouldn't start and I was cursing at it. Dad went on home. Jack laughed and said, "OK dummy, what's wrong now?" "Shut up, douche" I said. "I think...wait, yeah". The spark plug coil was loose and wasn't connecting. I jump started on it again and after a few more tries, the engine bleated back to life. "Race you back home!" Jack was on foot! He was hoping to drive my ATV with me on the rack which is a bad place to be because its not padded.

Dad told us not to depend on others, "just do it yourselves, but always be prepared for anything". Annie said yesterday, "Why do you have so much crap in the back of your Jeep?" I'll tell her stories of when I was growing up on the ranch some other time. But for now, I'm just going to give her a big hug and lots of kisses when I see her tonight! :)

No comments: