Sunday, July 8, 2012

Little Girl Blue

After babysitting for extra cash the other day, I decided I want a baby.

Not really, maybe in the distant future.

Rafaela's (Rafi for short) baby, "Lena"--her given name being Marlena, I just fell so fond of her. She's a quiet baby, happy and never cried when her mommy left for work, and took to me when I picked her up. The tv wasR tuned in to qubo--a kid's channel. Rafi said Lena likes cartoons. I asked, "How can you tell?" She replied, "Lena just sits there like she's hypnotized and if she likes something, she'll clap her little hands".

"Really?"
"Yes. I mean, that's what I think she's trying to do. My first kid. I'm all in this baby raising myself. Sometimes I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. Know what I mean?"
"I guess. I wouldn't know much about raising a kid on my own. But it looks like you're doing well. Lena's happy. And I guess that's all that matters."

Rafi had to stay a few hours over and it looks like we're going to be on opposite schedules with me on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Rafi says she moved to Flagstaff two months before me and she doesn't know anybody except for the people at work. She overheard me talking to Christina about getting a second job so she asked her for my number. Then before calling me, Rafi asked if I'm trustworthy and Chris told her that I'm "all heart".

I don't know what that meant, but I'm going to be Lena's babysitter on weekends. I'm looking forward to spending more time with that cute little girl. So I'm set: I have two jobs to where I can save up for my own place as soon as I'm done house-sitting since living out in the boonies is eating up my gas in the Jeep. And that old Jeep is a gas guzzler. I need to move closer to work.

We, Rafi and I, were talking about that this morning when I came over to watch Lena. She said we both could save up for the things we want and it'd be easier if I could just be Lena's 'playmate'. Haha! Sounds like a fun plan, but I'll have to see how next week's paycheck goes.

I have $600 in the bank for savings and liquid funds and that's from tips and the stipend I've been getting for house sitting. Don't get me wrong, I like the privacy of walking around in my bra and underwear in the house and out in the yard, but it does get lonely out there sometimes. I occupy my time when I'm not working by reading books about Arizona and the surrounding historic areas but sometimes I miss the company of good friends like Christina and Zack. Or maybe I can work  it out where I spend weekends in town with Rafi and her baby. I don't know.

What I do know for sure, is that life is good for me. :)

No comments: